The 10 first round ensembles have today been announced for the 12th Banff International String Quartet Competition, to be held in Banff, Canada from the 29th August to September 4th, 2016.
This year’s competitors are:
- Aeolus Quartet (USA)
- Argus Quartet (USA)
- Castalian String Quartet (UK)
- Omer Quartet (USA)
- Quartet Arpa (Japan)
- Quartet Berlin-Tokyo (Isreal/Japan)
- Rolston String Quartet (Canada)
- Tesla Quartet (Russia/South Korea/USA, pictured)
- Ulysses Quartet (Canada/USA/Taiwan)
- Verona Quartet (Canada/USA/Singapore)
The first prized ensemble will received US $25,000 cash - plus three-years artistic and career development, concert tours, residencies and recordings.
This year’s jury will comprise: Vera Beths (Rondom Kwartet), Denis Brott (Orford String Quartet), Gerard Causse (Quatuor Via Nova), Yoshiko Nakura (Tokyo String Quartet), Geoff Nuttall (St. Lawrence String Quartet), Peter Salaff (Cleveland Quartet) and Alasdair Tait (Belcea Quartet).
Previous 1st prize winners include: the VC ‘Artists’ Dover Quartet - and the Cecilia, Jupiter, Miro and St Lawrence String Quartets.