The three ensembles progressing to the Final Round of the 2019 Banff International String Quartet Competition have just minutes ago been announced - in Banff, Alberta, Canada.
The 2019 Finalists are:
- Callisto Quartet (USA)
- Marmen Quartet (UK)
- Viano String Quartet (Canada / USA)
Open to string quartets with all members under the age of 35, the 1st prize winning ensemble will receive CAD $25,000 – plus a number of mentorship and international performance opportunities, including a two year paid residency at the Meadows School of the Arts at the Southern Methodist University.
For the Final Round each quartet will perform one complete work of Beethoven.
- CALLISTO QUARTET
- Schubert String Quartet No.14 'Death and the Maiden' - 1st Mvt
- Thomas Ades - 'The Four Quarters' - Serenade: Morning Dew
- Bartok String Quartet No. 6 - Mesta & Burletta
- Ravel String Quartet in F Major - Vif et agite
- MARMEN QUARTET
- Salvatore Sciarrino String Quartet No. 7
- Schubert String Quartet No. 15 in G Major - 1st Mvt
- VIANO STRING QUARTET
- Thomas Ades - 'The Four Quarters' Op. 28
- Schubert String Quartet No. 15 in G Major - 1st Movement
The 2019 competition jury comprises: Gillian Ansell, Martin Beaver, Adrian Fung, David Harrington, Nobuko Imai, Philip Setzer and Ursula Smith.
Previous 1st prize winners include the Cecilia String Quartet, Rolston String Quartet – and the VC Artist Dover Quartet.
Join us backstage.