The 10 opening round candidates have today been announced for the 2017 Trondheim International Chamber Music Competition - to be held in Trondheim, Norway from the 26th to 30th of September.
The 2017 candidates are:
- Atem String Quartet (Norway)
- Daphnis Quartet (Germany/ Holland/ Italy/ Spain)
- Doppler String Quartet (Czech)
- ESMÈ Quartet (South Korea)
- Julius Quartet (USA/ South Korea)
- Maxwell String Quartet (UK, pictured)
- Omer Quartet (USA/ South Korea)
- Secession Quartet (Japan/ Taiwan/ USA)
- Simply Quartet (China/ Norway)
- Sonore String Quartet (Germany/ Serbia)
Hosted biennially and alternating between string quartets and piano trios, previous 1st prize winners include the Trio Isimsiz and the Van Kuijk Quartet.
This year’s 1st prize winning ensemble will receive €15,000 and a number of important 2018 festival engagements.
This year’s jury includes Levon Chilingirian (Jury Chair), Joseph Breinl, François Kieffer, Vladimir Mendelssohn, Susie Meszaros, Oystein Sonstad and Oyvor Volle.