The 12 opening round ensembles for the 2018 Wigmore Hall International String Quartet Competition, to be held in London from the 10th to the 15th of April, have been announced.
The 2018 competitors are:
- Callisto Quartet (United States of America)
- Eliot Quartett (Germany)
- Esmé Quartet (Germany)
- Gildas Quartet (United Kingdom)
- Goldmund Quartett (Germany)
- Idomeneo Quartet (United Kingdom/Switzerland/Spain)
- Marmen Quartet (United Kingdom)
- Quartet Amabile (Japan)
- Quatuor Tchalik (France)
- Solem Quartet (United Kingdom)
- Vera Quartet (United States of America)
- Viano String Quartet (United States of America)
The 2018 1st prize winning quartet will receive €10,000, an extensive UK tour including a Wigmore Hall recital, an Avaloch Farm Music Institute residency, Banff Centre residency funding, a Champs Hill Records CD recording – and fully-covered participation at the 2018 McGill International String Quartet Academy.
Founded in 1979, and hosted triennially, former 1st prize winners include the Van Kuijk, Arcadia, Danish, Formosa, Atrium, Hagen and Takács String Quartets.
The 2018 jury will comprise: John Gilhooly (Jury Chair), Jonathan Brown, András Fejér, Nobuko Imai, Bjørg Lewis, Heime Müller, Károly Schranz, Hélène Clement, Emma Denton, Donald Grant, Oliver Heath and Alasdair Tait.
For more information, visit: http://bit.ly/2pewKcf