The 13 Semi-Finalists have today been announced at the 2018 Gisborne International Music Competition - in Gisborne, New Zealand.
The 2018 Semi-Finalists are:
- 22-year-old violinist Brian Hong from Australia
- 22-year-old violinist Aziel Verner from New Zealand
- 18-year-old violinist Joey Lau from Singapore
- 22-year-old violinist Brigitte Balzat from New Zeland
- 20-year-old violinist Tim Yu from Australia
- 20-year-old violist Grace Leehan from New Zealand
- 21-year-old cellist Caleb Wong from Australia
- 16-year-old cellist Charlotte Miles from Australia
- 19-year-old cellist Hye-In Kim from South Korea
- 25-year-old cellist Jonathan Bekes from Australia
- 17-year-old cellist Sai Sai Ding from China/United States
- 21-year-old clarinetist Andrew Fong from Australia
- 25-year-old flutiest Eliza Shephard from Australia
The annual competition, open to solo orchestral instrumentalists aged 16-25, is regarded as one of the most significant development bursaries in the Australasian region.
This year’s 1st prize winner will receive $10,000 NZD – plus a number of local performance opportunities.
This year’s competition is being adjudicated by Auckland Philharmonia Principal Violist Robert Ashworth - and international oboist and conductor Gordon Hunt.
Previous 1st prize winners include 2017 Queen Elisabeth International Cello Competition prize winner VC Young Artist Santiago Canon Valencia, 2015 Joseph Joachim International Violin Competition prize winner Amalia Hall – and 2016 Lipizer International Violin Competition prize winner James Dong.