The 12 candidates progressing to the 2nd round of the 2018 Bach International Violin Competition have been announced – in Leipzig, Germany.
The 2nd round violin candidates are:
- Oganes Arustamov (26, Russia)
- Maia Cabeza (25, United States/Canada)
- Laure Chan (23, Great Britain/France)
- Julia Glenn (29, United States)
- Noyuri Hazama (30, Japan)
- Elicia Silverstein (28, United States/Italy)
- Elly Suh (29, United States/Republic Korea)
- Judith von der Goltz (26, Germany)
- Rita Wang (28, Taiwan)
- Maria Wloszczowska (26, Poland)
- Rachell Ellen Wong (26, United States)
- Hed Yaron Meyerson (28, Germany/Israel)
Open to international violinists and baroque violinists, aged 16 to 32, the 2018 1st prize winner will receive €10,000 – plus a number of important debut concert invitations.
The 2018 jury comprises: Reinhard Goebel (Head of Jury), Pierre Amoyal, Cecylia Arzewski, Chiara Banchini, Pavlo Beznosiuk, Tatiana Grindenko and Ryo Terakado.
Hosted quadrennially since 1950, previous Bach International Violin Competition prize winners include: Rachel Barton Pine, Antje Weithaas, Axel Strauss, Daniel Phillips and Oleg Kagan.