The 12 candidates progressing through to the 2nd round of the 2016 9th Leopold Mozart International Violin Competition, in Augsburg, Germany have today been announced.
The 2016 2nd round competitors are:
- 23 year old Anna Gockel from France
- 16 year old Ziyu He from China
- 25 year old Luke Hsu from the United States
- 23 year old Harriet Langley from Australia
- 23 year old Jae Hyeong Lee from South Korea
- 25 year old Jun Hong Loh from Singapore
- 23 year old Yasuka Morizono from Japan
- 21 year old Haruna Shinoyama from Japan
- 18 year fold Hani Song from Switzerland
- 23 year old Ji Won Song from South Korea
- 22 year old Max Tan from the United States
- 23 year old Andi Zhang from China
For the 2nd round, each candidate will present: a Beethoven or Schubert violin and piano sonata, a newly commissioned chamber music piece for violin, piano and cello by Franz Xaver Kleinheinz, a newly commissioned solo violin work by Johannes X. Schachtner – plus a virtuosic violin showpiece of the candidate’s own choice.
The final round will be held on Thursday 12th May, with the 1st prize winner to receive €10,000 (US $12,000), a CD recording – and a number of important European engagements.
Following the 1st round performances, €500 (US $600) ’Young Development’ Prizes were awarded to 18 year old Wonbeen Chung from South Korea, 16 year old Honoka Kikukawa from Japan, 18 year old Hana Mundiva from the United States and 15 year old Anne Maria Wehrmeyer from Germany.
This year’s jury, comprises Paul Roczek (Chairman), Achim Fiedler, Suzanne Gessner, Vladimir Ivanov, Min Kim, Senta Kraemer, Gyorgy Pauk, Baiba Skride, Wei-Dong Tong and Petru Munteanu.
Previous 1st prize winner include: Isabelle Faust, Benjamin Schmid, Suyoen Kim, Yura Lee and Maia Cabeza.