The 9 Junior and 11 Senior Semi-Finalists have today been announced for the 2016 Sphinx Competition, to be held in Detroit, USA from the 3rd – 7th February.
The 20 2016 Semi-Finalists are:
- Nicholas Abrahams (15, Violin)
- Matthew David Adams (16, Violin)
- Ifetayo Ali (13, Cello)
- Nicholas Arredondo (17, Bass)
- Kayla Cabrera (17, Viola)
- Tristan Flores (17, Violin)
- Eileen Moudou (17, Violin)
- Maria Sanderson (16, Violin)
- Myles Yeazell (17, Cello)
- Jordan Bak (21, Viola)
- Michael Christopher Casimir (24, Viola)
- Alex Gonzalez (25, Violin)
- Annelle Gregory (20, Violin)
- Thomas Mesa (25, Cello)
- Guilherme Nardelli Monegatto (21, Cello)
- Samuel Nebyu (22, Violin)
- Aaron Olguin (21, Bass)
- Ruben Rengel (20, Violin)
- Allegra Whiting (18, Cello)
- Marza Merophi Wilks (23, Cello)
Open to American Black and Latino classical string soloists 26 years and younger, the Senior 1st prize winner will receive US $50,000 – and a number of prestigious solo engagements.
Previous 1st prize winners include VC ‘Young Artist’ Elena Urioste.
The 2016 jury will comprise: Aaron P. Dworkin (Chairman), Timothy Eddy, Charles Hamlen, Clive Gillinson, Jessie Montgomery, Kirsten Docter and Alexandra Soumm .