The 10 Stage 2 Semi-Finalists have today been announced at the 2017 Thomas & Evon Cooper International Violin Competition, at Oberlin College, in Ohio, United States – including 16 year old VC Rising Star Johan Dalene.
The 2017 Stage 2 Semi-Finalists are:
- VC Rising Star Johan Dalene (16, Sweden)
- Zachary Brandon (18, United States)
- Maya Anjali Buchanan (17, United States)
- Qing Yu Chen (17, United States)
- Lingyu Dong (16, China)
- Kejun Guo (18, China)
- Joseph Hsia (16, United States)
- Christina Jihee Nam (14, United States)
- Kiarra Saito-Beckman (18, United States)
- Adrian Steele (17, United States)
For the Stage 2 ‘Concerto Round’ Semi-Final, each candidate will present a violin concerto with piano – with 6 candidates to then progress to the Stage 3 ‘Recital Round’ Semi-Final.
For the ‘Final Round’, to be held at Cleveland’s Severance Hall on July 21st, 3 candidates will perform complete violin concertos with The Cleveland Orchestra.
The first prize winner will receive US $20,000 – plus a number of important debut opportunities.
This year’s jury comprises: Gregory Fulkerson, Sibbi Bernhardsson, David Bowlin, Chenxing Huang, Haik Kazazyan, Marilyn McDonald, Mark Messenger, Jan Mark Sloman, Naoko Tanaka and Milan Vitek.
Open to international violinists aged 14 to 18, previous 1st prize winners include VC Young Artist Sirena Huang.