The 28 opening round candidates have today been announced for the 2019 Tibor Varga International Violin Competition – to be held in Sion, Switzerland from the 18th to the 24th of August, 2019.
The 28 opening round candidates are:
- Elizabeth Basoff-Darskaia (24, United States)
- Matthew Chin (25, China)
- Adam Koch Christensen (19, Denmark)
- Anna Agafia Egholm (22, Denmark)
- Seira Horiuchi (23, Japan)
- Yiying Jiang (21, China)
- Lorenz Karls (19, Sweden)
- Honoka Kishimoto (25, Japan)
- Oleksandr Korniev (24, Ukraine)
- Roksana Kwaśnikowska (24, Poland)
- Maya Levy (22, Belgium)
- Antranik Malkastian (24, United States)
- Hana Mundiya (21, United States)
- Tzau-Yan OuYang (20, Taiwan)
- Yue Qian (24, China)
- Aoi Saito (21, Japan)
- Christian Sebastianutto (25, Italy)
- Mitsuhiro Shimada (19, Japan)
- Paolo Tagliamento (22, Italy)
- Rina Tanaka (16, Japan)
- Mayu Tomotaki (23, Japan)
- Ayaka Uchio (22, Japan)
- Akiko Ueno (25, Japan)
- Cécile Vonderwahl (20, Switzerland)
- Jaewon Wee (19, South Korea)
- Yumiko Yumiba (22, Japan)
- Zhixin Zhang (18, China)
Open to violinists of any nationality 26 years or under, the 2019 1st prize winner will receive CHF 20,000.
The 2019 jury will comprise: Georges Starobinski (Chairman), Pavel Vernikov, Qian Zhou, Krysztof Wegrzyn, David Takeno, Gilbert Varga, Juan Carlos Garvayo and Antonio Meneses.
Previous major prize winners include: VC Artists Ji Won Song and Paul Huang.