2021 IRVING M. KLEIN INTERNATIONAL STRING COMPETITION
SUNDAY 6 JUNE 2021
LIVE FROM SAN FRANCISCO
Violinist Grace Huh (18, United States) | Pianist Weicong Zhang
- Poulenc | Sonata for Violin and Piano, 1st & 2nd Movements
- Sibelius | Violin Concerto in D minor, 2nd & 3rd Movements
Violist Yuchen Lu (22, China) | Pianist Miki Aoki
- Bach | Cello Suite No. 6 in D Major, Sarabande
- Vanderveer | Bagatelles for Strings for Solo Viola
- Rochberg | Sonata for Viola and Piano, Allegro moderato
- Bartók | Viola Concerto 2nd & 3rd Movements
Cellist William Tan (16, United States) | Pianist Liang-yu Wang
- Shostakovich | Sonata for Cello and Piano in D minor, 1st & 2nd Movements
- Dvořák | Cello Concerto in B minor, Op. 104, 2nd & 3rd Movements
In the final round, each of the three finalists will perform a 35-minute program which must include a movement from a major sonata and a chosen concerto.
Joint 4th prize, presented after the semi-final stage of this year's competition, was awarded to 20-year-old violinist Ria Honda from Japan and 17-year-old violinist Serin Park.
The grand prize, valued at $13,000, includes a cash prize, as well as performances with the Peninsula and Santa Cruz Symphonies, Gualala Arts Chamber Series, among others.
Previous major prize winners include Vadim Gluzman, Alban Gerhardt, Jennifer Koh, Mark Kosower, Jennifer Frautschi, Oliver Herbert, Frank Huang, Robert deMaine, and VC Artist Tessa Lark.