VC LIVE | Young Concert Artists International Auditions — 2021 Winners Concert [WATCH]
The Violin Channel is coming this evening LIVE from the 2021 Young Concert Artists Winners Concert — direct from at Gilder Lehrman Hall, at New York City's Morgan Library & Museum
Tonight's concert features 25-year-old violinist Lun Li from China, 23-year-old pianist Ying Li from China, 15-year-old pianist Harmony Zhu from Canada and 28-year-old vocal tenor Daniel McGrew from the United States — who were each this week awarded 1st prize at the 2021 Young Concert Artists Susan Wadsworth International Auditions, in New York City.
All four winner will join the Young Concert Artists roster — granting access to a minimum of three years of management services, career engagements, publicity, and career guidance, plus coveted recital debuts in New York City and Washington D.C.
Full playback of the Final Round of this year’s auditions are available now.
Ying Li (Piano)
- Mozart | Sonata in B-flat major, K. 333 | Allegro | Andante Cantabile
- Liszt | Concert Paraphrase on Verdi’s Rigoletto
Lun Li (Violin) & Jessica Osborne (Piano)
- Nicola Matteis | Passaggio Rotto from Ayres for the Violin, Book II
- Schubert | Sonata in A minor for violin and piano, D. 385 | Allegro
- Ernst | Grand Caprice on Schubert’s Der Erlkönig, Op. 26
Harmony Zhu (Piano)
- Chopin | Sonata No. 3 in B minor, Op. 58
- Haydn | Sonata in E-flat major, Hob.XVI: 52 | Allegro (Moderato)
- Elliott Carter | Caténaires
Daniel McGrew (Tenor) | Shawn Chang (Piano)
- Schubert | Des Fräuleins Liebeslauschen
- Schubert | Die Liebe hat gelogen
- Benjamin Britten | Canticle I: My beloved is mine
Throughout their tenure, winners of the YCA International Auditions benefit from YCA’s connections with the industry’s managers, concert presenters, conductors of major orchestras, and financial supporters, as well as its long-standing reputation for discovering and furthering the careers of extraordinary young artists.
The jury for the final round comprises soprano Amy Burton, flutist Brandon Patrick George, conductors Miguel Harth-Bedoya and David Alan Miller, vocal coach Kayo Iwama, YCA President Daniel Kellogg, violinist Jennifer Koh, pianists Cecile Licad and Anne-Marie McDermott, Philadelphia Orchestra Vice President of Artistic Planning Jeremy Rothman, violist Marcus Thompson, YCA Founder Susan Wadsworth, and cellist Paul Watkins.
Previous recipients include Pinchas Zukerman, Ida Kavafian, Anne Akiko Meyers, Emanuel Ax, and Murray Perahia — and VC Artists Paul Huang, Ray Chen, Stephen Warts, Zlatomir Fung, Xavier Foley, SooBeen Lee, and Jonathan Swensen.