The 7 Finalists have just minutes ago been announced at the 2018 Washington International String Competition – in Washington D.C., United States.
The 2018 Finalists are:
- Maya Anjali Buchanan (Violin, United States)
- Youjin Lee (Violin, South Korea)
- Muriel Garnet Razavi (Viola, United States)
- Tony Rymer (Cello, United States)
- Felicitas Schiffner (Violin, Germany)
- Zhihao Wu (Cello, China)
- Zhanbo Zheng (Viola, China)
Open to international string players aged between 18 and 28, the 1st prize winning violinist, violist and cellist will each receive US $10,000.
The 2018 jury comprises: Dmitri Berlinsky, Rita Porfiris and Paul Katz.
All competitors must not be under professional management – nor current students of any jury member.
Founded in 1950, previous 1st prize winners include: violinist Jennifer Frautschi, violists Cynthia Phelps, Roberto Diaz, Carol Rodland and VC Young Artist Matthew Lipman – and cellist Ralph Kirshbaum.