The Dallas Opera, in Dallas, Texas, has this week cancelled an invitation to opera singer and conductor Placido Domingo to perform at the ensemble’s season gala – following reports this week of eleven more women coming forward making claims that they had been subjected to unwanted sexual advances by the Spanish opera star – during productions in the 1980’s and 1990s.
“In light of ongoing developments regarding allegations made against Plácido Domingo, The Dallas Opera has decided to cancel the March 11, 2020 gala, in which he was scheduled to perform …” the opera company has this week said via social media.
The new allegations come just weeks after the Associated Press reported that eight female singers and a dancer had made claims of inappropriate sexual behaviour by the Spanish opera singer – whilst he was head of the Los Angeles Opera in the 1980s.
In the new allegations, one woman has said whilst working as a hair and makeup artist on the Washington Opera’s 1999 production of ‘Le Lid’, Domingo allegedly put his hand under her bra strap and grabbed her bare breast.
“It hurt and it was not gentle … he groped me hard,” she has said.
The New York-based news agency has also reported that backstage crew members during the production had been forced to warn female cast members to avoid being alone with the star.
The Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera have also both cancelled invitations since the initial allegations were leveled.
“These new claims are riddled with inconsistencies and, as with the first story, in many ways, simply incorrect …” Nancy Seltzer, a spokeswoman for Mr Domingo has this week said.
“Due to an ongoing investigation, we will not comment on specifics, but we strongly dispute the misleading picture that The A.P. [Associated Press] is attempting to paint,” she has said.