The 9 Senior Semi-Finalists have just minutes ago been announced at the 2016 Menuhin Competition, in London.
For the Semi-Final round, to be held on Wednesday 13th April, each candidate will present the 1st movement of Bartok’s Solo Violin Sonata, the 2nd movement of a Beethoven String Trio, Enescu’s ‘Impromptu Concertant’ – plus a virtuosic work of the candidates’ own choice.
The 2016 Semi-Finalists are:
- 16 year old Louisa Staples, from the United Kingdom
- 18 year old Do Gyung (Anna) Im, from South Korea
- 16 year old Ziyu He, from China
- 19 year old Ariel Horowitz, from the United States
- 20 year old Youjin Lee, from South Korea
- 20 year old Yu-Ting Chen, from Taiwan
- 16 year old Qing Yu Chen, from the United States
- 20 year old Jeein Kim, from South Korea
- 16 year old SongHa Choi, from South Korea
Full playback of the opening round, is available at: http://bit.ly/1FAXBQk.
The 2016 Senior Menuhin Competition 1st prize winner will receive £10,000, a number of important European performance opportunities, plus the 1 year loan of the acclaimed 1715 ‘Schneiderhan’ Stradivarius violin – on generous loan from J & A Beare.
MAXIM VENGEROV | ‘SCHNEIDERHAN’ STRADIVARIUS | 2016 MENUHIN COMPETITION 1ST PRIZE
Widely recognised as the world’s leading competition for violinists under the age of 22, previous 1st prize winners include VC ‘Artists’ Ray Chen, Angelo Xiang Yu and Stephen Waarts.
The 2016 jury comprises: Chairwoman Pamela Frank, former laureates Julia Fischer, VC ‘Artist’ Ray Chen, Tasmin Little, Ning Feng and Joji Hattori – and pianist Jeremy Menuhin, violinist Dong-Suk Kang and Verbier Festival Director, Martin Engstroem.
As the competition’s official 2016 media partner, The Violin Channel will be providing exclusive rolling-coverage – live from all venues.
You won’t miss a beat!