The Menuhin Competition has today announced the 22 Junior and 22 Senior candidates for the 2016 competition – to be held at London’s Royal Academy of Music from April 7-17th.
Widely recognised as the world’s leading competition for violinists under the age of 22, previous 1st prize winners include VC ‘Artists’ Ray Chen, Chad Hoopes, Hrachya Avanesyan, So-Young Yoon, Xiang Yu and Stephen Waarts – and VC ‘Rising Stars’ Kevin Zhu, Rennosuke Fukuda and Kerson Leong.
The 22 x 2016 Junior competitors are:
- Matvei Bliumin (11, Russia)
- Olivia Chen (13,USA)
- Elli Choi (14, USA)
- Johan Dalene (15, Sweden)
- Marley Erickson (12, USA)
- Kristina Georgieva (14, Bulgaria)
- Klara Gronet (15, Poland)
- Ria Honda (15, Japan)
- Antoni Ingielewicz (14, Poland)
- Yeyeong Jin (12, South Korea)
- NaKyung Kang (12, South Korea)
- Byeol Kim (15, South Korea)
- Anne Luisa Kramb (15,Germany)
- EunSeo Lee (14, South Korea)
- Yesong Sophie Lee (12, USA)
- Hina Maeda (13, Japan)
- Kevin Miura (13, USA/Japan)
- Mahiru Moriyama (15, Japan)
- Michael Rosborg Germer (13, Denmark)
- Takumi Taguchi (14, USA/Japan)
- Samuel Tan (10, Singapore)
- Coco Tomita (13, Japan)
The 22 x 2016 Senior competitors are:
- Merve Birbir (18,Turkey)
- Qing Yu Chen (15,USA)
- Yu-Ting Chen (20,Taiwan)
- Larissa Cidlinsky (21,Germany)
- Asako Fukuda (19, Japan)
- Molin Han (15, China)
- Ziyu He (16, China)
- Ariel Horowitz (19, USA)
- Do Gyung Im (18, South Korea)
- Yookyung Kang (19, South Korea)
- Jeein Kim (20, South Korea)
- Marie Isabel Kropfitsch (19, Austria)
- Nan Joo Lee (20, South Korea)
- Yoojin Lee (17, South Korea)
- Youjin Lee (20, South Korea)
- HyunJae Lim (18, South Korea)
- Mathilde Milwidsky (21, UK)
- Juliette Roos (20, UK)
- Louisa Staples (15, UK)
- KellyTalim (20, USA)
- Belle Ting (15, Taiwan/Canada)
- Eva Zavaro (20, France)
“London will be the capital of the violin world in April with a festival of excellence for all to enjoy, celebrating all things Menuhin,” Competition Artistic Director Gordon Back has said, ” …the applications for London 2016 broke the Competition’s own record and the overall standard was the highest ever.”
“I know Menuhin would have been proud to see and hear these 44 prodigies, as they step out onto the world stage in his centenary year,” Back has said.
Interestingly, 36 of the 44 candidates accepted into the 2016 competition are female – with only 1 sole male set to perform in the Senior division.
“I celebrate the fact that gender is no longer an issue in the world of violinists,” 2016 jury member Tasmin Little has said, ” …I know my mentor Menuhin would also be delighted as, for him, the most important thing was always the music and the musician, and never their gender, colour, creed or nationality.
This year’s youngest competitor is 10 year old Samuel Tan from Singapore – who was at just 9 years old awarded 1st prize at the 2014 Andrea Postacchini International Violin Competition.
The 2016 jury will comprise: Chairwoman Pamela Frank, former laureates Julia Fischer, VC ‘Artist’ Ray Chen, Tasmin Little, Ning Feng and Joji Hattori – and pianist Jeremy Menuhin, violinist Dong-Suk Kang and Verbier Festival Director, Martin Engstroem.
As the competition’s official 2016 media partner, The Violin Channel will be providing exclusive rolling-coverage – live from all venues. You won’t miss a beat!