The 12 Semi-Finalists have today been announced at the 2019 Tchaikovsky International Cello Competition – in St. Petersburg, Russia.
The 2019 Cello Semi-Finalists are:
- VC Young Artist Zlatomir Fung (United States)
- VC Young Artist Santiago Cañón-Valencia (Colombia)
- VC Young Artist Benedict Kloeckner (Germany)
- VC Young Artist Jonathan Swensen (Denmark)
- Senja Elina Rummukainen (Finland)
- Yibai Chen (China)
- Anastasia Kobekina (Russia)
- Ivan Sendetskii (Russia)
- Haruma Sato (Japan)
- Fyodor Amosov (Russia)
- Taeguk Mun (South Korea)
- Ivan Skanavi (Russia)
This year’s competition will be held across 6 categories – Piano, Violin, Cello, Voice, Woodwinds and Brass Instruments.
Each category winners will receive US $30,000 – with the one Tchaikovsky Competition Grand Prix winner to be awarded an additional US $100,000.
The 2019 jury comprises: Sir Clive Gillinson (Chair), Myung-Wha Chung, Ralph Kirshbaum, Truls Mørk, Sergei Roldugin, Jan Vogler, Jian Wang, Mario Brunello, Karine Georgian, Mischa Maisky, Daniel Müller-Schott, Tsuyoshi Tsutsumi and Istán Várdi.
Previous 1st prize winners include: David Geringas, Denis Shapovalov, Narek Hakhnazaryan and Andrei Ioniță.