The 6 Stage 3 Semi-Finalists have today been announced at the 2017 Thomas & Evon Cooper International Violin Competition, at Oberlin College, in Ohio, United States – including 16 year old VC Rising Star Johan Dalene.
The 2017 Stage 3 ‘Recital Round’ Semi-Finalists are:
- VC Rising Star Johan Dalene (16, Sweden)
- Zachary Brandon (18, United States)
- Maya Anjali Buchanan (17, United States)
- Qing Yu Chen (17, United States)
- Christina Jihee Nam (14, United States)
- Kiarra Saito-Beckman (18, United States)
For the Stage 3 ‘Recital Round’ Semi-Final, each candidate will present a 30 minute violin recital with piano – with 3 candidates to then progress to the ‘Final Concerto Round’ at Cleveland’s Severance Hall on July 21st with The Cleveland Orchestra.
The first prize winner will receive US $20,000 – plus a number of important American debut opportunities.
This year’s jury comprises: Gregory Fulkerson, Sibbi Bernhardsson, David Bowlin, Chenxing Huang, Haik Kazazyan, Marilyn McDonald, Mark Messenger, Jan Mark Sloman, Naoko Tanaka and Milan Vitek.
Open to international violinists aged 14 to 18, previous 1st prize winners include VC Young Artist Sirena Huang.