The 16 candidates progressing to the 2nd round of the 2019 ARD International Cello Competition have just minutes ago been announced – in Munich, Germany.
The 2019 2nd Round candidates are:
- Anton Spronk from Netherlands/Switzerland
- Raphaël Jouan from France
- Min Ji Kim from South Korea
- Marcel Johannes Kits from Estonia
- Sihao He from China
- Ivan Skanavi from Russia
- Sayaka Selina Studer from Japan/Switzerland
- Guillaume Wang from Australia
- Friedrich Thiele from Germany
- Oleksiy Shadrin from Ukrain
- Haruma Sato from Japan
- Nadège Rochat from France/Switzerland
- Yeong-Kwang Lee from South Korea
- Benjamin Lai from USA/Taiwan
- Christoph Heesch from Germany
- Jérémy Garbarg from France
Open to cellists of any nationality born between 1988 and 2000, the 1st prize winner will receive €10,000 (US $11,500).
The 2019 cello jury comprises: Lynn Harrell (Chairman), Ophélie Gaillard, Matt Haimovitz, Maria Kliegel, Torleif Thedéen, Tamás Varga and Pieter Wispelwey.
This year’s ARD Competition will be held in 4 instrument categories: Cello, Clarinet, Bassoon and Percussion.
The Violin Channel, as the cello competition’s official media and broadcast partner, will be providing streaming coverage direct from Munich.